Unless you’re living under a rock, we know that you’ve already seen your Facebook friends posting their avatars almost everywhere. Gone are those days that we can only use emojis, thumbs up, or generic icons to express what we are feeling.
A cartoon avatar that looks like you
Facebook Avatar is a new feature from the social media giant that allows users to create a cartoon-like version of yourself. This is pretty similar to Snapchat’s Bitmoji and Apple’s Memoji feature. The feature has been available in the US, Australia, and some other countries for a while now. Facebook finally rolled it out here in the Philippines!
According to a post by the head of Facebook’s app Fidji Simo, “So much of our interactions these days are taking place online, which is why it’s more important than ever to be able to express yourself personally on Facebook. With so many emotions and expressions to choose from, avatars let you react and engage more authentically with family and friends across the app.”
If you are excited to try out this new feature, follow the steps below to create your own Facebook avatar. Note we took screenshots of the process using the Facebook app on an Android device.
1. Open up the Facebook app on your iOS or Android phone. After that, tap on the three horizontal lines in the top-right portion of your screen.
2. Look for Avatars under the Menu portion. Tap on it.
3. Tap “Next” then “Get Started.”
4. Select a skin tone that best fits yours and then tap “Next.”
5. In this part, you can go through each section to customize hairstyle, hair color, face shape, eye shape and color, makeup, eyebrows, nose shape, facial hair, body shape, outfit of your avatar. You can tweak your avatar’s appearance to make it similar to yours.
6. Tap the checkmark in the top right corner of your screen if you’re finished customizing your avatar.
After successfully creating the avatar, you can now use the avatar they designed in comments, stories, and messenger. You can also set it as a temporary profile picture if you want to.
Ready to try making your own avatar like others? What do you think of this new feature?