In 2017, Gawad Sining Short Film Festival was born with a one-week full-house screenings (and awards night) at the Cine Adarna of UP Film Institute. Founded by its festival director Onin Estrella, a Filipino film director.
On its second edition last December 2019, Gawad Sining took a rest with short films, and instead had six (6) full-lengths in the competition (all premieres). The event was successfully held at the same theater in UP Diliman, with UP Cinema Arts Society (UP CAST) in full support as co-organizer.
This 2020, the festival is back in highlighting local short films in partnership with Village Pipol Magazine under RED Entertainment. However, due to the current pandemic situation, the organizers decided to push through with the third edition via ONLINE.
Despite the current health crisis, the organizers still aim to uplift and inspire the young (and young at heart) filmmakers by joining this short film competition — utilizing their creativity and use their time productively.
Below are the basic information and mechanics on how you can join the third edition of GAWAD SINING Short Film Festival 2020:
- This year’s theme: LGBTQ stories of any genre (romance/ boys love/ drama/ comedy/ action/ suspense/ thriller)
- Open for students, amateur, and independent filmmakers.
- It’s an open competition for short films produced from January 2019 onwards as long as the short film has not been posted on YouTube.
- Narrative, Documentary, and Experimental films are allowed, as long as the theme of the film festival is embodied.
- Entries must be emailed to [email protected] On the Subject Box, please put GAWAD SINING SHORT FILM FESTIVAL 2020
- The length of the final film must strictly be a minimum of 8 minutes and a maximum of 20 minutes only (including OBB and CBB).
- The submission deadline for the official entries will be on November 8, 2020. A selection committee will choose the Top 15 entries which will be announced on a later date.
- The Top 15 official finalists will be uploaded on YouTube, available to be viewed by the public from November 27, 2020 to December 4, 2020 (actual festival week).
- Reputable judges will be invited to choose the winners.
- Music to be used must not be copyrighted with any singers or music production unless there’s written permission.
- The filmmakers will still own the film rights, all finalist films will remain uploaded on YouTube permanently. However, there is no restriction if the filmmaker wants to upload it on other online platforms.
- The winning films will receive trophies and cash prizes:
P 10,000 – Best Film
P 5,000 – Second Best Film
P 3,000 – Third Best Film
- Other awards like Best Director and Best Screenplay will also receive trophies during the online Awards Night.
- The decision of the Board of Judges is final.
For further inquiries, you can visit the official Facebook page of Gawad Sining.